The dreaded word menopause has become like a four letter curse word in my house. Constant reference to my menopause symptoms causes my hubby to cringe. “Are you sure that’s what it is” is the question he often asks. The CHANGE as I call it has started.
At 48 years young I am experiencing many of the signs. Mood swings, digestion issues, night sweats and dry skin to name a few. Every day I notice something new and I wonder when will this end. These changes are the result of hormonal fluctuations due to the decrease of estrogen. In other words, my chances of having any more children are slim to none. Yippee!!!
Seriously though, menopause can completely upset your life. Here are some tips on how I have learned to manage.
1. Drink lots of water – Even when you aren’t thirsty drink up! Increasing your water intake will help to replace the fluids that are lost from hot flashes. It will also help to help to keep your skin clear from acne while also keeping your digestive system regular.
2. Exercise – You’ve put on a little weight is the polite way of saying girl you are getting pudgy. Get up and get moving. As our metabolism slows down, we are more likely to gain weight. Exercising regularly will help relieve both menopausal and stress symptoms.
3. Eat a healthy diet – Green leafy veggies should be your best friend. Rich in fiber and many vitamins, adding these vegetables will improve digestive health and lower risk of osteoporosis.
4. Sleep – Sleep is the best medication! Maintaining a nightly schedule will help you to get adequate sleep and decrease symptoms of anxiety and difficulty in concentration. Sleep in loose clothing to keep your body cool just in case a heat flash decides to show up. Sleeping with a furry companion also helps!
5. Embrace the Change – Menopause is a natural transition for women and while it will affect your life, having a positive attitude will help you embrace it and enjoy the process.